Sunday, November 22, 2009

untitled #263


This is part of a work that is now known as the “Sex Picture”. When I first saw it I thought it was a sculpture but after doing some research I found that after the sculptures were made it was then photographed and the photos where shown as the art. This asks the question is it a sculpture or a picture. Right away I think of Richard Long and his question what is the art, the line on the ground or the photo I snapped of it after it was done. Is it the result of the journey? This question only makes this photo or sculpture all that more complex. Is Cindy Sherman asking a question about art or sexuality or both? If I was Cindy Sherman I think I would say both to both questions just because I think I would make more money selling it but of course I am not Cindy Sherman for maybe this very reason. Ok what we have is a sculpture made of prosthetics, fabrics, doll parts and a decretive ribbon. There are two heads both looking at the double sided torso with male and female genitalia. The torso has what looks like a decretive ribbon around it much like a present. There are two fabrics the torso and one of the heads is laying on one fabric that looks almost like a woman’s night gown. The second head is lying on what almost looks like a throw rug. Both heads are looking down at one of the genitals. At first I thought the first head was looking up but it is not so due to the fact that the male genitals are upside down. All of this I came to rather quickly we all want or are one of these things. The ribbon is the thing I have trouble putting my finger on then I saw that the female genitals is holding a tampon. So we have a night gown open to show all that the two sexes have to offer each other or even themselves and two disconnected heads one more connected to the torso because it is in the open night gown. Both of these heads are more or less disconnected from the torso and are looking back at it. The ribbon is showing that this is a gift. We will always covet no matter how far we try to distance ourselves with logic from the lust of the flesh we can’t help it. Why not use it for good? This is of course just one of the theories I have for this work but it’s the one I think is best. I think this is a work very open to multiple interpretations. This work reminds me of Tracey Emin’s work pointing out how our society has failed to make success equal happiness in I’ve got it all 2000.



Untitled #263 1992. 2000. Tate. 2004. http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=27115&tabview=work

No comments:

Post a Comment